Monday, August 1, 2011

Car Food and Special Treat

Every summer I throw the kids in the car for a get together with two of my girlfriends from high school, and their 5 kids.  It is always a fun vacation, but very chaotic - putting 8 kids between the ages of 2-6 together can produce a little craziness.  We are scattered across the east cost, so these get together always involve lots of driving, which means lots of snacks in the car.  When I am doing solo road trips I like to get up early and get on the road, which means I need to do breakfast in the car.  I usually do mini bagels, they are quick and easy and my kids love them, but this year I decided to do something different.
My kids have two loves, jam sandwiches and fancy sandwiches.  When these loves are combined I have very happy children, which is just what I need when faced withe an 8 hour road trip.  These sandwiches are great.  They are quick and simple, the variations are endless and my favorite part the kids can make themselves.

To make these fancy treats:
1.  Choose your favorite jam/jelly/marmalade and spread on one slice of bread.

2.  Dice, or thinly slice whatever fruit is ripe and in season, place on top of the jelly covered bread.

3.  Top with a second slice of bread.  If you happen to have a Pampered Chef sandwich cutter now is the time to break it out.  If you don't have one a cookie cutter and fork will work the same.  Simply cut your sandwich and crimp edges together.

4.  Finish by buttering the top slice.  I had just received a sample of  Land O'Lakes Cinnamon Sugar butter spread, which was really yummy and recommend giving it a try, but if you don' have it regular butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar works just as well.  Place in a 350 oven.  Bake until lightly brown.

These are great for an afternoon snack or as an early morning breakfast when starting an 8 hour road trip, and as I said the fillings are endless.  Peanut butter and chocolate, chocolate and marshmallows, cheese and tomatoes.  They can be topped with butter, cinnamon and sugar or olive oil, cheese and herbs.  Sweet or savory, you really can't go wrong.  

If you would like to try Land O' Lakes new cinnamon sugar spread, just leave a comment by August 8th.  I will pick a winner and Land O' Lakes and My Blog Spark will send the winner the wonderful prize package shown below.

2 comments:

  1. Very cool! Thanks. I'd love to try it.

    Hope the trip was good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that sandwich idea! That would be such a special treat before a long car trip. I'd love to try it with marshmallows and chocolate.

    ReplyDelete