Thursday, September 8, 2011

An Apple a Day


I was so proud I had the back to school snacks all set, but once I saw these on Pintrest I knew the cookies would have to wait.  I made two batches of these silly treats, one for our neighborhood back to school party and one for us, and both were devoured very quickly.


I love Rice Krispie treats, they are a childhood comfort food.  I was a little apprehensive about adding Jell-o to them, why mess with a good thing, but was pleasantly surprised with the results.  I still prefer plain Rice Krispie treats, but my kids think the flavored are better, I guess you just can't go wrong with marshmallows and krispies.

I used Tootsie rolls for the stems and leaves.  I am a huge fan of Tootsie Rolls and it was one time I was actually glad that Halloween candy was out at the beginning of September.  I usually spend two months resisting this bag of goodies and was happy to have a good excuse to buy this huge bag of candy.  I will now spend the next two months trying not to eat the entire bag.


Rice Krispie Apples
Print Ready


4 Tbs. Butter
10 oz. Marshmallows
1 pkg.  Strawberry Jell-O
6 c. Rice Krispie Cereal

Miniature Tootsie Rolls
Lime flavored Tootise Rolls (Green icing, Fruit Roll-up or other “shape-able” candy will also work)

Directions:

In large pot, over medium heat melt butter.  Add marshmallows and stir continuously until melted.  Remove from add Jell-O, stir until completely mixed in.  Add cereal and mix until thoroughly coated.  

With buttered hands shape about a ¼ c. of cereal into a ball.  Once all cereal is shaped use your thumb to make a slight impression in top of ball.  Add Tootsie Roll stem and leaf.