Monday, October 10, 2011

SRC - Simply Cooked

Chicken and peanut butter is one of my favorite combinations.  I could eat it every day and never grow tired of it, so when I saw Sarah over at Simply Cooked had a recipe for Bang Bang Chicken I new what I would be trying this month for the Secret Recipe Club.

As always the SRC club introduced me to another wonderful site.  Sarah has a great assortment of recipes, a lot of the recipes are vegetarian, but there are options for the carnivore lover as well.  In addition to her recipes Sarah also has some fabulous book reviews from her Kitchen Reader book club.  I spent just as much time reading these posts as I did her recipes, so not only did my recipes to make list grow, but so did my books to read list.

Sarah's recipe for Bang Bang Chicken is wonderfully simple.  It is a great dish to have in your repertoire as it can be prepared ahead of time and is just as yummy cold as hot.  I actually prefer to it cold, the flavors are much more enhanced.


 I followed Sarah's recipe pretty much exactly, but did add some carrots for a little added crunch.

Bang Bang Chicken 
Printer Friendly


Recipe from Simply Cooked and adapted from A Little Taste of China

Make this with leftover roasted or poached chicken. Or poach the chicken at the beginning of the recipe, then use the same cooking water for the noodles.

1 1/2 cucumbers
1 t salt
30 g Rice vermicelli
1 t toasted sesame oil
2 c. Cooked chicken, shredded
2 scallions (spring onions), sliced

for the dressing:
1/4 c (peanut butter
1 t soy sauce
4 t sugar
3 T rice wine vinegar
1 T toasted sesame oil
1 scallion (spring onion), sliced
1 T minced ginger
1 t chilli paste
1/4 c (60 ml) chicken stock or water

Slice the cucumbers into sticks. Toss with the salt and set aside in a bowl for 20 minutes.

Make the dressing by whisking together all the dressing ingredients.

Cook the noodles according to the packet directions; this will only take a few minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water so they cool to room temperature.
Combine the cucumbers, noodles, sesame oil, and chicken. Pour the dressing over and toss to combine. Sprinkle with the scallions.

As always there are lots of great recipes to check out with this month's SRC. You can check them out here and be sure to visit the Secret Recipe Club site throughout the month for more recipe reveals.


9 comments:

  1. This would be winning recipe in our home especially with my daughter, saving this one.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC recipe this month: Levain Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting combination. I eat more Mediterranean flavors, so peanut butter and chicken would have never occurred to me. But this looks amazing! Perfect SRC choice!  I love your blog, I am your newest Follower!  

    If you haven't seen my Low Calorie Greek Baked Eggs yet, I would love for you to check out my SRC post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fantastic! Love all the flavors going on here, and the carrots really make it pop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the name of this recipe, so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Asian-flavored dishes and especially any with peanut butter involved! Looks great, fab SRC pick :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adding carrots sounds like a fantastic idea. Thanks for your kind words, Kim. It's nice to meet you through the SRC! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. By the way, why don't you join our book club, the Kitchen Reader? In October we are reading Spiced by Dalia Jurgenson, a memoir or a pastry chef.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! Just the name cracks me up. Great pick for the SRC.

    ReplyDelete