Monday, February 6, 2012

Making Myself at Home

As always it was a tough decision when trying to to decide on just one recipe for this month's Secret Recipe Club.  Catherine of Make Myself at Home has a wonderful blog filled with delicious looking recipes and a cute little munchkin who gets to enjoy all the wonderful treats Catherine makes.


I finally decided on the Oatmeal Breakfast Bars.  We needed some lunch box treats and this sounded like the perfect option.  I did make a couple of changes to the recipe, but only to the add-ins.  Catherine used Craisins, chocolate chips and walnuts. I substituted with my current favorite combination of dried blueberries, white chocolate chips and almonds.  Either option would be great and that is what I love about this type of treat you can easily customize it with your family's favorite flavors.  





Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
Printer Ready

3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
6 oz. fat-free yogurt
2 egg whites
2 Tbsp.  milk
2 Tbsp. Applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
3 cups oats
1/2 cup dried blueberries
1/2 cup whit chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped almonds

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9×13 pan.
In a large bowl combine sugars & wet ingredients.  Add flours, baking soda, salt, and  cinnamon, stir until combined.  Mix in oats, fruit, chips, & nuts.  Spread dough into bottom of prepared pan.  Bake 22-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool before cutting.



This is a wonderful recipe to add to your collection. It is super easy to make, with very little clean-up and can be done when you need a last minute treat. It has a light sweetness and of course a wonderful nut and oat flavor. The bars are soft, but hold together well making them a great lunchbox snack or an afternoon treat in the car between activities.


I had hoped to make it with my youngest, but a nap was more important, but this is also a terrific recipe to make with young children. The measurements are easy, it is done all in one bowl and the ingredients are all familiar and many can be snacked on while cooking, or while waiting for the final result to come out of the oven. I think I might try it the next time I am helping in the girl's school and if I do I will let you know how it goes.

In the mean time check out the rest of the Secret Recipe Club and all the goodies that were baked and cooked this month.


14 comments:

  1. Such a delicious sounding breakfast bar and great that it can be customized to your favorite add-ins.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC entry: Crunchy Fudgy Heart Bites

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked these! We love to pack them for long trips. Dried blueberries & white chocolate chips would be super tasty with these; I'll have to try that next time we make them!
      Speaking of blueberries, I used them in my SRC entry this month too:http://makemyselfathome.wordpress.com/2012/02/06/secret-recipe-club-berry-terrine/
      Thanks for perusing my blog this month!

      Delete
  2. I love healthy recipes. All the snacking and none of the guilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicious! I have to admit, I'd probably eat them for breakfast! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara - we will definitely be eating these for breakfast as well.

      Delete
  4. These look and sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! We often eat oatmeal or granola bars in the morning on the run, but I'd love to try making these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could really use some oatmeal breakfast bars for my mornings! Lovely SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great alternative to traditional oatmeal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fellow SRC member stopping by to check out your gorgeous recipe. I love how healthy these are. Great idea to keep them in the car to eat in between kids activities. You got assigned a wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Easy and quick. I'm all for that. AND healthy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These bars sound great with either bunch of add ins!

    ReplyDelete