Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Snowflake Cake

I had a request for a snow themed cake for this weekend, which was nice since I have been seeing so many fun snow themed events on blogs recently and have been thinking I might need to have a party just so I could try some of the ideas.  The cake was a basic white cake from "The Cake Bible" by Rose Levy Beranbaum, with a lemon curd filling, one of my favorite combinations.  The cake was for a small winter party and I was given free reign to come up with the design.  I knew it would be a simple low key gathering so I decided to keep the cake simple as well.  I wanted to do the snowflakes in royal icing on parchment and then transfer them to the cake so they would be consistent in size, but my icing was foamy - too much meringue powder - and the snowflakes didn't firm up properly.  Since I wasn't able to transfer them I just piped them onto the cake.  The icing was firm enough so it didn't run while piping, but I didn't get the consistent look I was hoping for, overall it worked out fine just not the original vision.