Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Fruit Salsa

It's that time of year where fruits are ripening and coming in faster than we can eat them.   We aren't as overloaded with fruits from our current CSA as we were in previous years with our other provider, but we are still having trouble keeping, so I have to come up with ways to use it up before it goes bad.  I usually think of fruit as a side with breakfast or lunch, as a great snack or perfect for desserts, but I usually don't use it when cooking dinner.  So this summer I am challenging myself to incorporate more fruit in our main meal, and so far it has been a fun challenge. 
Last week I had small amounts of cherries and blueberries that needed to be used.  So, I broke out the cherry chopper and made a lovely berry salsa to put on top of our grilled fish.  This isn't a very adventuresome way to incorporate fruits into a meal, it is a basic recipe.  What's good about it is you can use whatever fruits you have on hand and use it top whatever protein you have on hand - fish, chicken, pork - they are all good.

The recipe below is based on what I had on hand, but is easily altered based on what is available and personal preference.

Berry Salsa
1/2 c. Cherries, pitted and roughly chopped
1/2 c. Blueberries
1/4 c. Diced Red Onion
1 Tbs. Finely diced Jalapeno
1 tsp. Rice Vinegar
Juice from 1/2 lime

Mix all ingredients together.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Let rest about 20 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment