Monday, July 18, 2011

Secret Recipe Club - July

It is time for the Secret Recipe Club! This month I was introduced to Judee at Gluten Free A-Z.   I usually don't spend a lot of time on blogs dedicated to allergy or gluten free diets.  My husband has some food allergies, but they don't effect our daily diet so they aren't sites I seek out.  After spending time on Judee's blog I might be more apt to seek out similar sites.  Her blog is filled with lots of great recipes and healthy living suggestions.  It was tough making a decision on what to make.  Her quinoa salad looked great and it is a flavor combination I love, but I wanted to try something new and different.
I decided to try the Gluten Free Banana Oatmeal Cookies.  I decided on these because they sound great and because I have been looking for new recipes that kids can easily make on their own for a snack.  I have a similar 3 ingredient recipe for Peanut Butter cookies that I recently taught them, and that they love, and thought this would be a good addition to their recipe collection..
The kids had fun making these cookies, although Maggie was a little put off by our super ripe bananas.  She definitely eats with her eyes and the browning of the bananas was a little too much for her.  The kids are use to a sweeter cookie so we decided to experiment with the recipe a little by adding some peanut butter and honey.  These cookies were different from what the kids are use to, but they had fun making them and like having another recipe that they can do on their own.
Banana Oatmeal Cookies
adapted from Gluten Free A-Z

4 Banana, slightly over ripe

2 c. Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
2 Tbs. Peanut Butter

1/4 c. Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven 350
Mash bananas.  Add oats and peanut butter, stir until combined.  Mix in chocolate chips.
Drop spoonfuls onto parchment lined cookie sheet.  Bake for 15 minutes or until tops are slightly browned.



10 comments:

  1. Any recipe that the kids can help with is a winner in my book! They look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to try these - my hubby has a co-worker who cannot eat gluten and I always feel bad that I don't send in gluten free stuff too often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made these with my daughter and they're delish.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC recipe this month: Holy Guacamole.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the sound of the secret recipe challenge but I have taken on as many challenges as is realistic. Mind you, I am considering handing in my daring bakers membership. I think it is the one I enjoy least each month - it intimidates me and I just can't live up to what others manage. Going to have to really think about it properly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a fun group. SRC and Cake Slice are my favorites. Every month is something different and fun. I have given up Daring Bakers, I agree it can be too intimidating and sometimes much too time consuming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love banana oatmeal cookies. Fun being in the SRC with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds super easy! Bet my son would love these. Especially if I added some chocolate chips...

    Glad to be part of SRC with you!

    Amy @ A Little Nosh

    ReplyDelete
  8. My son has lots of food allergies; I think these would be perfect for him! I can use sun butter, and I like that this won't take the whole jar like most peanut butter recipes:)

    ReplyDelete