Friday, November 18, 2011

Biscotti

Seven or eight years I ago I was obsessed with Biscotti.  I made tons of it in every imaginable flavor.  I gave it as gifts and ate pounds of it myself.  I loved the stuff, to the point where I became sick of it.  For the first time in about six years I just made it again and I am afraid I may become obsessed again.

It comes together so easily.  There are so many flavor combinations, and even better you can often make two different flavors in one batch.  It is a wonderful snack, morning, noon or night.  It is great with coffee and gets even better when dunked in coffee.  

Oh yummy Biscotti! 



Cranberry Orange Biscotti
Printer Ready

½ cup dried cranberries
½ cup boiling water
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
4 Tbsp. butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp. Almond extract
Zest from 1 orange
½ cup almonds, chopped
Sprinkling sugar

Directions:
Preheat oven 375.  Line large baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside

In small bowl pour boiling water over cranberries.  Let set for 15 minutes or until plump, then drain water.

Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.  Set aside.

In mixing bowl cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy,  Add 3 eggs, one at a time, beating each egg until fully incorporated (reserve last egg for egg wash).   Mix in almond extract.  Slowly add sifted dry ingredients.  Mix until just incorporated.  Add cranberries and chopped almonds.  

Turn dough out onto floured surface.  Divide into two equal pieces.  Roll each piece into a log about 16x2.  Place on prepared baking sheet.  Gently flatten logs slightly.   Lightly beat last egg and brush each log.  Sprinkle generously with sugar.  

Bake for 25 minutes or until firm to the touch.  Transfer logs on parchment paper to wire rack.  Allow to cool for 20 minutes.   Reduce oven temperature to 300

On cutting board, using serrated knife, cut logs crosswise on the diagonal into ½ inch thick slices.  Arrange slices on parchment lined baking sheet.  Bake for 15 minutes, flip each piece, bake for an additional 15 minutes.

enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Looks delish. I have to admit that I have never tried Biscotti. But your recipe looks so good. I would love it if you could link this up to our linky party going on right now.

    http://junkintheirtrunk.blogspot.com/2011/11/link-it-up-wednesday-3.html

    ReplyDelete