Monday, November 7, 2011

Portobello Sausage Risotto

When I first received my assignment for this months Secret Recipe Club I knew I would not have a problem finding a recipe.  I knew it would be a tough choice, but I had the feeling that whatever I chose would be wonderful.  Erin of Dinners, Dishes and Desserts has a wonderful site filled with great recipes that she has made for her son and husband.  Even as she prepares to move to Colorado her blog is constantly being updated with new recipes, which makes deciding on a recipe very challenge.  

Since Erin had so many great recipes to choose from I decided to let my refrigerator to the deciding for me.  I checked the refrigerator to see what I had, then checked Erin's site and the winner was Sausage and Mushroom Risotto.  


I didn't have mushrooms, but I did have Aidells Chicken and Portobello Sausage, which I think worked as a wonderful substitute.  This is a wonderful creamy risotto, filled with flavor.  It is great as a date night meal, as Erin prepared it, or as a family meal with three crazy kids running around. 


I made a couple of slight adjustment to Erin's recipe.  The sausage, as I mentioned above and also the liquids.  I didn't have enough rice so I eliminated the use of beef stock.  My adjusted recipe is listed below, but be sure to check out Erin's site for her recipe.  

Sausage and Mushroom Risotto

3 cups chicken stock
2 Tbls olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ tsp thyme
1 lb Adiellas Chicken and Portobello Sausage
1 Tbls butter
Salt and pepper
1 cup Arborio Rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese

In saucepan over low heat, warm chicken stock..

In a large deep sided skillet brown the sausage.  Once brown add thyme.  Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, then remove from pan and set aside.

In skillet heat 2 Tbls oil over medium heat.  Add onion and garlic.  Sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.  Add the rice and coat well with the oil.  Lightly toast the rice, about 2 minutes.  Stir in wine, and cook until it is almost evaporated.  Ladle about 1 cup of warm stock into the rice and stir.  Once it is mostly absorbed add in more stock (1 ladle full each time).  Continue this process until the rice is cooked through and nice and creamy.  You might have a little stock left over, but not much.

Once cooked through, add sausage to the pan.  Stir in the Parmesan Cheese and butter.  Top with additional cheese if desired.


Photobucket


As always be sure to check out the Secret Recipe Club it continues to grow and there are new recipe reveals each week.  

12 comments:

  1. What a fantastic post for SRC!!!

    Check out my SRC post if you haven't already:

    Simple Butter Cake with Peach Sauce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this risotto! So glad that you picked it. The sausage you used sounds wonderful - I sometimes mixed it up with turkey sausage and others to save on calories. So glad you and your family liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We would adore this recipe, saving to make very soon. Great SRC choice.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC recipe this month: Pork Belly Soup with Collard Greens.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea to use the Aidell's sausage in the risotto. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Aidells sausage! Perfect for this risotto!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have gotta try making risotto. That looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love risotto, and the sausage makes for a great addition! Great choice for this month! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved having your blog this month! The crockpot beef is a family fav forever! Love this sausage risotto - it looks deicious! Fantastic SRC pick..I need to buy that sausage!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like a perfect cold weather meal. I just learned how to make risotto so I am looking for new ways to make it. Thanks for this one.

    ReplyDelete