Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Ginger Scones

I was talking about this recipe last night and had such a craving for it that I decided to make it this morning, with the help of my youngest chef.  I first had these a couple of years ago while visiting my brother and sister-in-law, She makes some of the best scones, in fact I didn't make these for a long time because I didn't want to ruin my memory of how good they were.

These are a basic scone recipe, so if you aren't a ginger lover you can easily substitute the crystal ginger with your favorite filling - blueberry, cranberry, chocolate chips the options are endless.



  

Ginger Scones
Printer Ready

5 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cold
2 cups All purpose flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
3 Tbsp. sugar
1 cup heavy cream
½ cup chopped crystallized ginger
½ cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven 425°
Cut butter into ¼” cubes, or smaller, place in freezer while preparing rest of ingredients.

Line baking sheet with parchment paper.

In large bowl combine flour, baking powder and sugar.  Toss to combine.  Using a pastry cutter, or your hands, gently combine the dry ingredients and flour until the mixture resembles a coarse sand.  Add heavy cream and mix until the dough begins to form.  Pour mixture out onto lightly floured work surface and knead until mixture forms a sticky ball.  Pat into a flat circle, sprinkle ginger on top, fold in half and pat back into circle.  Cut into 8 wedges and place on baking sheet.  Bake for 12-15 minutes or until tops are a light brown.  Cool completely.

In microwave melt chocolate chips.  Dip ends of scones in chocolate or drizzle chocolate on top.




2 comments:

  1. i LOVE scones, and i LOVE ginger - this sounds like a great combo to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup this is delicious! I just made something similar and these scones were well received! I normally use dried mixed peel but had run out of, so crystallised ginger it was. I might just dipped some of the next batch in chocolate too!

    ReplyDelete