Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Eggplant Parmesan

I love my vegetable delivery service - Washington's Green Grocer.  I have written about them before and I know I will write about them again. They are not a CSA, they provide fresh, high quality produce year round.  During the growing season they provide local produce as much as possible, but by going outside the growing area we can also get bananas, oranges and other produce that you don't normally find in Northern VA, but are staples in my kids' diet.

When I get my weekly delivery I am always faced with the dilemma of using as many of the fruits and veggies as possible in one scrumptious dish or slowly rationing them out throughout the week.  We recently received a box that contained eggplant and tomatoes and I knew I had to combine ingredients.  It was as if they were reading my mind, I had been craving Eggplant Parmesan for a couple of weeks and then as if by magic the necessary ingredients appeared.  I was so happy, but then came the hard part.  I had to decide between traditional - layers with sauce- and a more simple version.

 I decided to go simple.  Thick slices of eggplant, breaded and baked


Topped with sauteed cherry tomatoes, spinach and garlic


Finished with a sprinkle of Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.  Such yumminess!























Deconstructed Eggplant Parmesan

2 eggplant, medium sized, cut into 1/2" slices
2 eggs
1 cup flour
2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
1 cup Breadcrumbs
3 Tbsp. Italian Seasoning (see below)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 pint cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup red wine
1 bunch fresh spinach (or 1 10 oz package frozen)
16 oz Mozzarella, shredded
1/2 cup grated Parmesan

Preheat oven 375.

Prepare three breading pans.  In first pan combine flour and 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning,  In the second pan add eggs and 2 tablespoons water, mix to combine.  In third breading pan combine Panko, regular breadcrumbs and remaining 2 tablespoons of seasoning mix.   Dip each slice of eggplant first in the flour, then in the egg mixture, finish with the breadcrumb mixture.  Place each coated slice on a platter.  Pour 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil a baking sheet with, place pan in oven 5 minutes to heat the oil.  Once all eggplant slices have been coated place on hot baking sheet in a single layer.  Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown, flipping slices over half way through bake time.

While eggplant slices are baking.  Heat a saute pan, with 1-2 tablespoons olive oil, over medium high heat.  Add chopped garlic and onion, cook for 5-7 minutes or until onions soften.  Add tomatoes cook for 10 minutes or until tomatoes begin to burst.  Add wine and cook for an additional 10 minutes.  Stir in spinach and cook until soft.  Remove from heat.

Evenly divide mixture over baked eggplant slices top each slice with  mozzarella and Parmesan.  Place in oven for 10 minutes or until cheese melts and lightly golden.

Enjoy!!

Italian Seasoning Mix

3 Tablespoons dried basil
3 Tablespoons dried marjoram
3 Tablespoons dried rosemary
3  Tablespoons dried thyme
3  Tablespoons dried oregano


I medium bowl mix all ingredients until combined.  Place in an air tight container for storage.

Shared at:
Jam Hands

No comments:

Post a Comment