Saturday, March 23, 2013

Honey Bee Cake

Well, once again I am late.  Not as late as last month, but still late.  I don't know what it is with me and the Cake Slice Bakers, I just can't get those cakes done in time.


This month my excuse is that I wanted to make the cake for an Easter egg hunt/Spring Celebration that friends were having.  A honey cake and Spring fun sounded perfect together.   I just wish we had the Spring weather to go with such a sweet  cake.  A couple of days into Spring and the temperatures are in the 30's and the sky is filled with clouds.  It is weather that makes you want to go back to bed instead of heading outside for an Easter egg hunt.


I have loved most of the cakes that I have made from Julie Richardson's Vintage Cakes, and this one is no exception.  It is a light cake that isn't overly sweet despite the large amounts of honey used in the recipe - there is honey in the cake batter and then a drizzle of sugar, honey and almonds once it is baked.  It is a very moist cake, but it is still sturdy enough that you can easily cut a small sliver if you happen to crave a sweet snack before bed.  I poked holes in the cake before pouring the honey over the cake and it made for a wonderful burst of flavor.  

This is a great cake to experiment with as you can change the flavor slightly by varying the type of honey and nuts used.  I used a clover honey and almonds, but think it would be wonderful with a lavender honey and pine nuts.


As always before to visit the other Cake Slice bloggers.  While we all use the same recipe the cakes always look different as everyone puts their own twist and personal preference to the recipe.

6 comments:

  1. Your cake looks great! you did so great! Glad you liked it too! :) BTW... don't forget to "link it up" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, this is beautiful, and I love how you can see the tunnels of glaze that soaked into the cake! This was a great cake, wasn't it? :)

    Joy @ Yesterfood

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delish is what this cake is about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim, your cake reminds me of home, with your loved ones where you have a nice slice of cake and cuppa :):) Definitely hit the spot ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, I think i might use walnuts next time I make it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you were able to get to bake this cake. It was worth it for sure.
    Pine nuts are a wonderful idea....

    :)
    Holly

    ReplyDelete